Saturday 5 July 2008

Stupid Sodding Wheel Studs

What a rubbish morning!

I got round to doing the other wheel studs the other day and then went to Halfords to get locking wheel nuts they turned out to be too short and ruined the ends of the studs!!!!!!!!

I then ordered new wheel nuts as per the ones I already had but some of the threads were too far gone. Not lower down only the first couple of threads.


Two wheels were fine the other two had at least one bad stud. I managed to save the front drivers wheel stud by cleaning up the first couple of threads but the back one was knackered. In addition as it was the first wheel I put the locking wheel nut on I had tried it on a couple of studs to check why is felt odd. This meant that two of the studs were knackered. I fixed one but not the other. Finally I thought I had got the both to work and tried to refit the wheel. Having refitted the wheel I tightened the nut and it stopped........

I tried to get it off. ........

nope it was not moving at all.....

I then got the big tyre wrench thingy and leant on it until I snapped the stud. At least now I had the wheel off again. At this stage in the game out trip to Italy in the gt6 in only 10 days time is looking unlikely :-(

A trip to the Landrover garage in Christchurch and the scrapyard followed in order to get new studs and nuts. The next thing I was worried about was taking the hub off again as it was of course the hub with the hub nut that was about to give up and die.


At about 15:00 my luck finally changed and the hub went back together including the nut taking 100 lb ft. It says 100-110 and I didn't want to push it any more than it had to.

So all in all not a great morning/early afternoon.

No comments: